Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mid-Century Retro/Vintage Cavalier Dresser

 How it looked the day I purchased this beautiful Mid-Century Cavalier Dresser: The company was founded in 1865 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  This dresser is from the 50's as indicated by a Cavalier badge glued to the inside of the top drawer.
 I couldn't wait to get this beauty home and strip it down . . . all wood construction with veneer overlay.
 The drawers sanded and cleaned.
 Taped, primed and ready for paint!
 One coat of primer will do the trick - I will be using Chalk Paint to coat this dresser, which does Not require a primer base to adhere well.  Sometimes going above and beyond pays off in the end, however.    
 50 shades... well, two will have to do. The cabinet will be painted in a Glidden Eggshell: Elegant Charcoal (darker). While the drawers will get a coat of Granite Grey.
 Here we have the cabinet in a clean, cool Charcoal Grey!
 To lightly contrast the rest of the dresser, the drawers were painted Granite Grey.
 After drying I fit the drawers to help make a decision on whether to paint the hardware white or black.
After much deliberation I chose White!  The reason for choosing white over black is 2-fold.  Firstly, the white hardware doesn't take away from the overall interest of the dresser (clean and subtle).  Secondly, black felt too masculine . . . I was searching for neutrality, not "hey look at me."

Note: Like all of my Projects this Dresser will be for sale after completion!  


1 comment: